Hot PMI Certifications
All PMI Exams
About PMI Certifications
Project Management Institute or just PMI is one of the most in-demand certification providers. Which was founded in 1969. It aims to grow qualified project professionals able to use their updated knowledge and skills in a challenging and dynamic environment. This non-profit organization provides tools as well as best practices to help specialists manage their projects successfully.
To add more, the standards and guidelines developed by PMI and gathered in the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) Guide, are valued and implemented by businesses all over the world. This Guide has gained a reputation for its effectiveness and is still used for successful managing of different types of projects.
PMI is also known for the certification program, which suits both the beginners and professionals.
Here will be discussing several certifications it offers.
Being a reputable brand in the world, PMI certifications are of great value on the IT market. Thus, when hiring, the official certifications make your CV list prominent and noticeable.
So, PMI offers a wide range of certifications candidates can choose from according to their interest, skills, and aims and be prepared to meet the industry demands. Currently, PMI offers project management certifications and agile certifications. The first group is given below and include:
- (CAMP) Certified Associate in Project Management
- (PgMP) Program Management Professional
- (PMI-RMP) PMI Risk Management Professional
- PMI Project Management Ready
- (PMP) Project Management
- (PMI-PBA) PMI Professional in Business Analysis
- (PfMP) Portfolio Management Professional
- (PMI-SP) PMI Scheduling Professional
As for agile certifications, PMI offers 5 of them that will skyrocket your project. These are the following ones:
- (DASM) Disciplined Agile Scrum Master
- (PMI-ACP) PMI Agile Certified Practitioner
- (DASSM) Disciplined Agile Senior Scrum Master
- (DAVSC) Disciplined Agile Value Stream Consultant
- (DAC) Disciplined Agile Coach
Each candidate can choose a designation according to his or her interests and professional aspirations. And below are some of the PMI certification tracks.
(CAPM) Certified Associate in Project Management Certification
The CAPM certification is a foundational certification that is ideal for new entrants and individuals interested in joining the project management industry. In more detail, it validates an individual's solid knowledge of project management basics including project management processes and environment, quality management, cost management, human resource management, risk management, procurement management, integration management, and stakeholder management among others.
Therefore, candidates interested in obtaining the CAPM certificate must sit for the associated CAPM exam. This official test consists of 150 multiple-choice items (of these only 135 are scored) that candidates must attempt in 3 hours.
Moreover, the CAPM certification exam has two prerequisites. The candidate must possess a secondary education and must have completed 23 hours’ project management studies which can be obtained through the PMI Project Management Basics online course.
(PMP) Project Management Professional Certification
This designation is the most well-known certification among project management professionals. It validates an individual's knowledge and skills in managing people, handling and leading projects successfully, and aligning project outputs to the business strategy.
However, this certificate is awarded on successful completion of the PMP exam included 180 multiple-choice questions that candidates must complete in 230 minutes. The prerequisites for the PMP exam are listed below.
- Option 1: Four-year degree + three-year experience related to leading projects + 35 hours of project management studies or CAPM accreditation
- Option 2: High school certificate + five-year experience related to leading projects + 35 hours of project management studies or CAPM accreditation
(PgMP) Program Management Professional Certification
This certification validates an individual's ability to simultaneously handle numerous projects and teams. As a result, the certified professionals will have the competency to handle multiple complex projects and activities that extend beyond companies, regions, or cultures to achieve business goals.
Meanwhile, candidates interested in gaining the certification have to undergo a two-step process. The first step is a panel review. And the second one involves passing the PgMP exam that consists of 170 multiple-choice tasks. And for that, candidates are provided 4 hours to complete the exam.
However, before sitting for the final exam candidates are expected to show proof of certain qualifications and experiences as listed below.
- Option 1: Secondary Degree + four-year experience related to project management OR PMP certificate + seven-year experience related to program management in the last 15 years
- Option 2: Four-year degree + four-year experience related to project management OR PMP certificate + four-year experience related to program management in the last 15 years
(PMI-PBA) PMI Professional in Business Analysis Certification
The PMI-PBA certification confirms an individual's ability to carry out business analysis, define requirements, create project outputs, and achieve organizational goals.Thus, applicants aiming to gain this qualification need to take the relevant PMI-PBA exam. This exam consists of 200 multiple-choice inquiries that have been completed within 4 hours. What’s more, the vendor specifies certain prerequisites for the PMI-PBA exam, thus candidates should show proof of either option 1 or 2.
- Option 1: Secondary degree + five-year experience related to business analysis + 35 contact hours of business analysis studies
- Option 2: Bachelor’s degree + three-year experience related to months of business analysis + 35 contact hours of business analysis studies
(PMI-RMP) PMI Risk Management Professional Certification
This accreditation track is designed to validate an individual's ability to recognize and assess risks, minimize threats and exploit opportunities. For this purpose, candidates must pass the appropriate PMI-RMP exam that consists of 170 multiple-choice tasks which candidates must complete within 3.5 hours.
The prerequisites for this exam are listed below. Candidates can show proof of either option 1 or 2.
- Option 1: Secondary degree + three-year experience related to project risk management over the last 5 years + 40 hours’ project risk management studies
- Option 2: Bachelor’s degree + two-year experience related to project risk management over the last 5 years + 30 hours’ project risk management studies
Career Trajectory and Professional Development
As you understand, project management has a very promising future and is one of the most rewarding fields. The PMI-qualified project managers are highly desired in the industry because of their outstanding skills. Moreover, certified professionals are employed in various industries across the world and are offered many opportunities in such positions as Project Manager, Project Coordinator, Project Analyst, and Director of Program Management.
It is also worth considering the high earning potential. Especially when you consider that a CAPM certificate holder can earn an average of $67,476 per year, while a certified PgMP professional can claim an annual salary of $120k as stated by PayScale.com.